Although we announced the introduction of this seat almost a year ago today, the final touches have finally been completed and the newest business class seating was showcased today to the media. The Thomson Vantage XL seat has been fully customised to offer Qantas passengers the very best in comfort and technology. In a world first, the seat (subject to approval) will be allowed to fully recline even during take off and landing. This news comes only weeks after Virgin Australia’s announcement of their new seat product. Both carriers now offering similar space and aisle access to their passengers, but with differing layouts.
Headed up by Marc Newson (before his departure to Apple) the fully customised seats scream class with a very contemporary style, clean wooden veneer and dark graphite touches set the mood, along with excellent mood lighting and easy to access seat controls and in-seat power ports. The new seats will be offered on Qantas’ A330 fleet, and work will commence in November, for a December / Januarylaunch on both domestic and then International routes, totalling 15 destinations: Sydney-Melbourne, Sydney-Brisbane, Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane to Perth, Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane to Singapore, Melbourne/Brisbane to Hong Kong, Sydney-Bangkok, Sydney-Jakarta, Sydney-Manila, Sydney-Honolulu and Sydney-Shanghai.
The 28 Airbus A330’s will now offer all business class passengers with aisle access, a must-have in new business class cabin design. “We believe this product will deliver the best travel experience between Australia and Asia, and probably the best domestic travel experience anywhere in the world. We can’t wait for our customers to experience it for themselves,” said Qantas Group Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce. “We’ve listened to what matters most to our customers and done extensive ergonomic trials to deliver the highest levels of comfort, privacy and intuitive design.
The new design, including the shoulder strap means that the seats can be fitted with a separate mattress before take off, and allow passengers to maximise their sleep by dining in the lounges before the flight, this may be a welcome element on the shorter night-flights to and from Asia.
The Economy cabins on all international A330s will be fitted with a next-generation model of the award-winning Recaro seat, an earlier version of which has been extremely popular with Qantas customers on the A380 and refurbished B747 aircraft. Economy seats on the A330-200s for Qantas Domestic will also be refreshed.
Customers in both cabins on the international A330 aircraft will be able to enjoy the latest Panasonic eX3 inflight entertainment system, with larger seatback touchscreens in addition to Q Streaming technology, enabling them to stream content from an extensive entertainment library directly to their own devices.
Domestic Business Class customers on A330 aircraft will also enjoy the same Panasonic eX3 system, while Economy customers will have an individual inflight entertainment experience through either seatback touchscreens or devices provided by Qantas in every seat.
Qantas yesterday announced the construction of a new Domestic Business Lounge in Perth due to open in the third quarter of 2015, which combined with the A330s will set a new benchmark in domestic travel for customers travelling from Perth, both on the ground and in the air.
- Marc Newson designed interiors
- Ergonomist and customer comfort advisory panel optimising seat comfort
- Latest generation cushion technology
- World-first gate-to-gate seat deep recline capability of 7” / 25 degrees from upright position for International and 5” / 21 degrees for domestic
- Fully-flat bed with extra width and direct aisle access (Business)
- New state-of-the-art inflight entertainment systems with more movies and TV.
A330 BUSINESS SUITE
- Designed in collaboration with Marc Newson and Vantage XL Seat manufactured by Thompson Aero Seating
- Additional storage and functional workspaces to offer comfort, flexibility and privacy
- Seats recline into a fully-flat bed and offer direct aisle access (1–2–1 configuration)
- Seats can be in recline position and fitted with the mattress from take-off right through to landing, maximising the opportunity for rest
- A sizeable console next to the seat and the design of the meal tray means customers can dine while they work
- New cotton duvet, mattress, increased pillow size and pyjamas (International)
- Qantas is the first to introduce a fully-flat bed for domestic business travellers on east-west flights, with beds that are the widest on the market
- Do Not Disturb function and
- Larger 16” inflight entertainment screens
MORE COMFORT IN ECONOMY
- Next-generation model award-winning ‘Recaro’ seat used on our A380 aircraft, an earlier version used on the A380 and refurbished B747 aircraft
- An increase in overall comfort with a streamlined under-seat design
- New larger seat back entertainment screens
- Foot nets and multidirectional headrests
- An armrest that fits neatly between the seats when folded away.
- International-standard seat pitch
- Refreshed with latest generation, ergonomic cushioning and seat covers
- Multi-directional leather headrests seats for Domestic and International aircraft will offer shared PC power and individual USB ports.